It’s fall, and that means we’ve got lots going on here in Michigan.You can go your favorite college sports game, go to you kids sporting event, rake leaves, carve pumpkins, and much more. Now, what do all of these things have in common? They leave stains in your clothes – but that doesn’t mean they have to be permanent. The top stains we see in the fall are Ketchup, Mustard, Grass, Dirt, and Pumpkin.
What you need:
Good Laundry Detergent
Scissors (just kidding!)
Access to washing machine
1. You will need to separate colors and read your care labels before you start.
2. Pre-treat any of these stains with a bit of laundry detergent mixed with a bit of water (1:1 is good) and then rub in with the back of a spoon. This puts the soap where its needed most without damaging the fibers in the garment.
3. Wait 15-30 minutes after pre-treating to let the detergent soak in.
4. Wash like you normally would.
5. Inspect before you dry. Never put an item in the dryer that still has a stain. Either continue working on it wet or allow to hang dry.
The above process will remove 80% of the fall stains you are working on. The magic here is pre-treating. For those “20%” stains, keep working (except for dirt stains, for dirt skip to step 9):
6. Mix a solution of water and vinegar (10 parts water to 1 part vinegar).
7. Test for colorfastness in an inconspicuous area.
8. Soak the garment for an hour or so, then wash again.
That should remove half of the remaining stains. If the stain persists, keep going:
9. Soak in Oxyclean (read the directions).
Using this guide, you should be able to remove 95% of fall stains at home. 5% of stains will never come out. Remember to always read the care label first. If you are uncomfortable doing any of the above steps or if you lack the necessary tools, bring your items to a professional dry cleaners for proper care.
Detroit’s Best Dry Cleaners in Store or At Your Door
Bring your fall mustard, ketchup, grass, dirt & pumpkins stains to us. We’re in Berkley (near Royal Oak, MI) and Bloomfield (near Birmingham, MI). Also, ask up about our complimentary dry cleaning pickup & delivery service. 248-543-0340
Photo Credit: Oakley Originals